Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
||Long Island City, Queens, NY United States
Director, Tobacco Policy and Programming|
When applying for this position, enter Job ID #: 347898
Reporting to the Assistant Commissioner, with wide latitude for independent decision making, the Director of Tobacco Policy and Programming will provide critical leadership in tobacco control policy and community engagement efforts. The Director will identify, develop and implement legislative, regulatory, and programmatic strategies to help reduce smoking in adults and youth, address electronic cigarette use, reduce exposure to secondhand smoke, and curb illegal sales of tobacco products. The position will also include community engagement designed to educate the public on related health issues.
The Director of Tobacco Policy and Programming specific duties will include:
• Leading a team to develop and advance the bureau’s tobacco control legislative and policy agenda, as well as programmatic efforts and coordination of community and stakeholder engagement.
• Managing all aspects of tobacco control policy development, including formative research, proposal development, drafting and advancing legislation, strategic planning regarding implementation and enforcement, and drafting responses to federal and state regulatory calls for comment.
• Overseeing the bureaus clinical and cessation related activities, including monitoring of the literature on developing science and research.
• Advising and supporting tobacco control media, education, and evaluation efforts.
• Serving as a point of contact with key local and national stakeholders and develop presentations, memos and briefing materials for agency and external audience.
• Working with the Health Department’s Office of External Affairs, Office of the General Counsel, and other relevant agency units to enact legislation through City Council, state legislature and other legislative bodies and collaborate closely with other internal content experts to advance educational campaigns and evaluation efforts.
• Providing strategic advice on policy proposals and other tobacco control issues to Department leadership, including the Assistant Commissioner and, the Deputy Commissioner of Prevention and Primary Care and the Commissioner of Health.
• Performing other duties as needed in support of the tobacco control policy and programming agenda
Qualifications & Requirements
.• Admission to the Mew York State Bar; and four years of recent full-time responsible, relevant, satisfactory legal experience subsequent to admission to any bar, eighteen months of which must have been in the supervision of other attorneys, in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity, or performing highly complex and significant legal work.
Incumbents must remain Members of the New York State Bar in good standing for the duration of employment.
|Contact Name:||Camilla Frazier-Daniels|
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene|
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene is one of the world’s oldest and largest public health agencies. It has a single mission: to protect and promote the health of all New Yorkers. The Bureau of Chronic Disease Prevention and Tobacco Control spearheads programs and initiatives to reduce the burden of chronic diseases by addressing underlying risk factors, such as poor nutrition, physical inactivity and tobacco use. The Bureau aims to reduce the leading causes of preventable deaths through innovative environmental and systems changes and groundbreaking policies that promote healthy eating, physical activity, and tobacco control. The Bureau, which is part of the Division of Prevention and Primary Care, achieves its goals through implementing neighborhood and population-level programs with an emphasis on policy, systems, and environmental changes.