Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Hartford, CT United States
Principal, Betances STEM Magnet School (Grades 5-8)|
Hartford Public Schools is pleased to announce the search for Principal of the Betances STEM Magnet School (BSTEM). HPS is seeking a leader with a passion for educating children, a commitment to closing achievement gaps, and an ability to maximize learning for all students. Hartford Public Schools invites applications from knowledgeable and innovative professionals who are experienced in urban education and understand the range of academic, social, and emotional needs of students. Ideal candidates will have a proven track record in providing strong instructional leadership focused on student centered learning. Successful applicants will also have demonstrated experience managing talent, overseeing organizational systems, and engaging families and community partners for equity and excellence.
Betances STEM Magnet School is an innovative learning community. The focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) and their inclusion into the traditional curriculum serve as an incentive for students to move from “learning to read” to “reading to learn.”
Technology has a dual function at the STEM school. Technology supports learning in the STEM classrooms as a tool for teaching and learning. Technology also functions as a separate subject with specific technology goals established at all grade levels. This dual approach supports the understanding that technology offers students access to current and developing information, tools for visualizing and modeling, data collection, data analysis and emerging communication of ideas.
The core strategy of STEM involves hands-on, experiential learning, observation and analysis, Students are encouraged to engage in, and solve, real world problems through hands-on lessons and structured inquiry, both in the school classroom and at the Connecticut Science Center. The Connecticut Science Center partners with BSTEM for student experiential learning opportunities and teacher professional development. It also offers its laboratory facilities for scientific inquiry, mathematical calculations and engineering design.
Qualifications & Requirements
QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS/ABILITIES OF THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
• Extensive instructional experience in urban/multi-cultural settings and cultural responsiveness
• Knowledge of and experience with the opportunities and needs of magnet schools
• Strong and collaborative leadership with an honest, transparent, and inclusive style that supports high student outcomes and educational excellence
• Demonstrated knowledge and effective use of technology in instruction, management, and communication
• Record of success leading and motivating adults (as a director, chair, coach, or administrator) and students
• Knowledge of pedagogy for development of curriculum and assessment that supports student learning
• Demonstrated experience in building partnerships and resources for a school and a willingness to work with various community partners
• Persistent use of data and researched-based focus on student achievement
• Demonstrated equitable leadership practices that impacted instruction, culture, and climate
• Knowledge of all federal and state mandates and regulations (IDEA, 504, Title IX, SRBI, etc.)
• Demonstrated skill in diverse staff recruitment, development, supervision, evaluation, and retention
• Ability to develop the professional capacity and practice of school personnel to promote student achievement
• Outstanding and visible communication skills with the ability to foster strong relationships with all members of the school community (students, teachers, families) and community at large to advance the school’s mission and vision
• Unwavering commitment to high academic achievement, social-emotional, and whole child development of all students
• Experience with multiple approaches to address behaviors and instructional practices that empower students, such as restorative practices, student centered learning, etc.
• Knowledge of financial management and ability to manage school operations and resources to promote each student’s academic success and well-being
• Ability to inspire excellence in others and hold staff accountable for student growth, academic results, performance, and culturally responsive practices
• Three (3) years of successful teaching experience
• One (1) year of successful experience as a building principal
CERTIFICATION REQUIRED: Connecticut certification in Intermediate Administration or Supervision (092)
Hartford Public Schools (HPS) is a vibrant and diverse community of educators and scholars. We have 20,000 students who attend close more than 40 distinctive magnet, neighborhood, and schools of choice. We are committed to being a leader in innovative urban education by focusing on cultivating equity and excellence for all of our students, aiming at closing the achievement gap, and readying students for college and the global workforce.
HPS is committed to recruiting a diverse team of talented educators who are committed to developing each student’s individual, academic, social, and emotional capacities and growth within the classroom and beyond. We continually seek talented and high-performing teachers for current and future opportunities with the district. Highly qualified candidates with a passion for urban education, a commitment to our Hartford students, families and community, and who would like to be considered for current and future opportunities within the district, are strongly encouraged to apply. For more information about the district, please visit our website at www.hartfordschools.org.
Please visit our employer showcase!