Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||New York, NY United States
College Production Assistant|
W.W. Norton & Company is seeking a Book Production Assistant for college textbooks, to help produce front-list reprints, custom reprints and other custom products, and perform general administrative support duties. The Book Production Assistant will report to the Director of College Production, with training and supervision from the Associate Director of College Production and reprint and custom staff members. This is a book production position, not writing, editorial, or film/video production—please do not apply if these are your areas of interest.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
• Assist with the following:
1. Semi-annual reprint activity through various stages of production
2. Alternate-format rebinds of books for Custom publishing program
3. Folders for password-protected online access to ebooks and study materials, to be sold at college bookstores
4. Quarterly updates of online content for digital ancillaries and other products
• Work with paper merchants to purchase text stock for reprint titles and monitor paper inventories for most-efficient use of existing stocks
• Work with several book manufacturing companies and component vendors to ensure timely printing and shipping of titles
• Collaborate with Editorial, Manuscript Editorial, and Design departments to usher books through the reprint cycle
• Work with outside composition houses to manage type corrections to titles
• Collaborate with Media Editorial, Media Managing Editorial, and back-end IT staff to usher content updates and corrections of online digital products
• Maintain an accurate database of all projects in process
• Perform general departmental support functions as needed, such as outputting and distributing biweekly production status report, serving as secretary for monthly department meetings, and other similar tasks
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover all activities required of the employee.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor’s degree
• Employment eligibility to work with W.W. Norton & Company in the US
• Must be able to work full business hours
• Must be extremely detail-oriented, making sure that all aspects of daily activities are handled with accuracy and minimal mistakes
• Must be highly organized, disciplined, and self-motivated
• Must have excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Must have excellent time management skills and be capable of multi-tasking and prioritizing across activities and projects
• Book production internship(s) a plus
• The ideal candidate will be curious about books and making them, and will have a demonstrated interest in the challenges and opportunities of an ever-changing publishing industry. The College Production Department is a group of intelligent, engaged, and collegial people, who never hesitate to help each other when needed, and we hope to find a candidate who will thrive in that environment
• Proficiency in Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat a must. Proficiency with FileMaker, Photoshop, and page layout software (InDesign) a plus
About the Company:
W. W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W. W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry”. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
W.W. Norton & Company is the oldest and largest publishing house owned wholly by its employees. W.W. Norton & Company strives to carry out the imperative of its founder to “publish books not for a single season, but for the years” in the areas of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. For more information about the Company, please visit us online at: http://www.wwnorton.com.
W. W. Norton & Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.