Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||The Opportunity Network
||New York, NY United States
College Success Program Assistant|
Position: College Success Program Assistant
Reports to: Program Manager, College Success
Status: Full-time Exempt
Start Date: September 2019
The Opportunity Network (OppNet) is seeking two exceptional Program Assistants for our College Success Program. The College Success Program Assistants will work in close collaboration with the Program Manager of College Success to deliver programming and provide in-person/virtual support that help OppNet’s College Fellows thrive on campus. These entry-level roles report to the Program Manager of College Success and are responsible for program assistance and administrative aspects of programming. These roles are an opportunity to do hands-on college success work, collaborate with a passionate and committed team of colleagues, and grow at a student-centered nonprofit organization.
Since 2003, The Opportunity Network has ignited the drive, curiosity, and agency of students from historically and systematically underrepresented communities to connect them to college access and success, internships, career opportunities, and personal and professional networks. Our two core programs, OppNet Fellows and Career Fluency®
Partnerships, are anchored in our proprietary Career Fluency® curriculum, which articulates the necessary skills and mindsets for college and career readiness. All of the work OppNet leads is in service of realizing our vision of a nation connected through vibrant communities and networks actively in pursuit of social justice and educational equity – a
nation where all young people can freely create their own path to enduring success that honors their passions, ambitions, and full identities.
The ideal candidate will personally connect to the important work we do and value diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I) across the organization. The candidate will demonstrate DE&I values by actively participating in all organizational-wide learning sessions and self-reflection as well as working with others to enact changes that contribute to meeting the
organization’s DE&I goals. The candidate should possess outstanding professionalism and discretion, organization and attention to detail, energy and initiative, the ability to prioritize and complete a variety of tasks on time, and a willingness to work on a wide range of assignments.
Program Management – 40%
Student Outreach and Relationship Management
● Work with College Guidance and Transition team to ensure seamless transfer of relationships from first year to second year of college
● Collaborate with the Program Manager, College Success and the OppNet Fellows program team to design and deliver student-centered and student-driven high quality and high impact events, e.g. winter conference, spring series, summer series, etc.
● Assist with communication to college Fellows - e.g. eNews, newsletters, text messaging platform, etc.
● Manage communication to Alumni around events, eNews, career opportunities, etc.
● Create and manage existing relationships with student affairs professionals on college campuses where OppNet Fellows attend school
● Become proficient in existing outcomes measurement tools, including surveys, rubrics, and OppNet’s proprietary Career Fluency® Competency Model
● Generate quarterly dashboards and reports to show progress and demonstrate outcomes
● Assist with data collection on annual Alumni survey and research on Alumni updates
● Enter data in the Salesforce CRM from check-in meetings with Fellows
● Coordinate with other staff members regarding data entry and any necessary follow up outside of caseload
College Success Check-Ins – 40%
● Conduct 1:1 and group check-in calls and campus visits with approximately 30 college-level OppNet Fellows throughout the fall and spring semesters
● Manage scheduling, travel, and communication with Fellows for the check-in process
● Gather Fellows’ input to help enhance structure and content for in-person check-in meetings
● Provide coaching and counseling to support college Fellows in areas such as choosing a major, career exploration, course selection, striving for overall personal wellness, and utilizing campus resources
● Follow up with College Fellows and relevant resources to manage issues College Fellows are facing on campus, e.g. academic challenges, socio-emotional challenges, adjusting to college life, connecting with professors, etc.
● Conduct research to identify programmatic additions to reinforce the education-to-career connection
Overall Program Assistance – 20%
● Participate in Career Fluency® facilitation training
● Facilitate Career Fluency® workshops across the Fellows program in order build rapport with Fellows
● Facilitate annual intensive programming and special events as required, e.g. Summer Institute, College Application Boot Camp, and College Transition Boot Camp, Speed Networking, Career Fluency® panels
● Lead recruitment visits/information sessions at area high schools and interview prospective Fellows
● Draft facilitator’s guide and facilitate events and workshops for OppNet’s alumni
Qualifications & Requirements
● B.A. from a U.S. accredited college/university;
● Two to three years of youth development and/or career development experience;
● Demonstrated skill set in project management, including:
o ability to keep a project moving toward successful completion
o awareness of budget parameters
o ability to set and meet deadlines
o understands how metrics and competencies are connected to various projects
o effective cross-departmental communication
o detail oriented
o outstanding organizational skills
o creative and critical problem-solving skills
● Superb written and oral communication skills;
● Availability and willingness to work select evenings and some weekends;
● Ability to travel to college campuses throughout the country and has a valid driver’s license;
● Demonstrated ability to connect with college-level students from historically underserved and underrepresented
communities: Can help facilitate interactive workshops in rigorous but dynamic fashion; understands how to be
both nurturing and demanding; appreciates boundaries, but not afraid to push or challenge;
● Knowledge of how higher education student services/affairs support college students a plus; and
● Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for OppNet’s values and mission
Commensurate with experience, plus top-of-the-line medical benefits and vacation policy, 401K, accruable comp time and a great work environment.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, outlining how your credentials relate specifically to the responsibilities and qualifications listed above, salary requirements, and earliest available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “College Success Program Assistant 2019” in the subject line.
The Opportunity Network|
Founded in 2003, The Opportunity Network seeks to equal the playing field for historically underrepresented high school and college students by creating access for them to career opportunities, professional networks and college. We believe that networks and social capital are an essential ingredient for success, so we take an innovative approach by underscoring the power of connections and professional relationships as vital complements to skills and work experience. Through unique interaction with executives, extensive networking training, coursework in careers, summer internships and college counseling, our students dramatically change the course of their futures.