College President Sandy Shugart and the Talent Search Committee invite applications and nominations for the campus presidency of Valencia College’s Osceola Region. Named for its home county, the Osceola Campus Presidency is a rare leadership opportunity. Osceola is the nation’s seventh-fastest growing county and is located in Orlando’s dynamic metropolitan area. Under President Shugart’s leadership, Valencia College won the inaugural Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence and was recognized as a “Great College to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education.
Valencia College is a member of the Florida College System, a network of 28 state colleges under the purview of the Florida Department of Education, and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
As the second largest state college in Florida, Valencia served nearly 78,000 students during the 2018-19 academic year. The Osceola Region, comprised of the Osceola, Lake Nona, and Poinciana campuses, served over 30,000 students during the same period, or nearly 39% of the College’s total. Valencia College has a diverse student body, with over 63% of students coming from historically underrepresented populations and learners from 132 countries. The College offers more than 120 programs including two and four year degrees, accelerated training and continuing education.
OSCEOLA CAMPUS PRESIDENCY
The Osceola Campus President is the chief academic and operating officer of the Region, responsible for providing academic, administrative and fiscal leadership in accordance with Valencia’s strategic plan. As the senior learning leader for the Region, the primary role is to ensure significant and measurable improvements in learning within a supportive environment.
The Lake Nona and Poinciana campuses each have executive deans who report to the Regional Campus President. The Campus President reports to President Shugart and is a member of his Senior Team.
In its next campus president, Valencia seeks a servant leader, who whole-heartedly believes that any student can learn anything under the right conditions. As a premier learning college, Valencia’s culture is deeply collaborative. The most competitive candidates will exhibit extraordinarily collaborative leadership and work well within teams, using the College’s mission as guideposts. Further details on the desired characteristics appear later in this Search Profile.
College President Sandy Shugart plans to appoint the new Osceola Campus President by early May, with the candidate assuming duties soon thereafter.
The ideal candidate will
- Be creative visionaries with strong implementation skills.
- Demonstrate collaborative work and leadership styles.
- Align the College’s value proposition with those of Region and its campuses.
- Be able to advocate effectively for the Region.
- Exhibit superb character, transparency and empathy.
- Possess the keen intelligence, curiosity and analytical ability needed for success in Valencia’s dynamic environment.
- Substantiate successful leadership experience in a multi-campus, open- access institution.
- Have a strong academic acumen and an understanding that faculty members lead academic work.
- Exhibit approachability, humility and an executive presence.
- Show a demonstrated track record of community outreach.
- Demonstrate multicultural awareness and sensitivity, with Spanish language skills a plus.
- Experience in managing online program offerings.
- Have a comfort level with ambiguity and change.
- Possess a sophisticated understanding of systems.
- Exhibit outstanding communication skills — writing, speaking and listening.
- Hold a terminal degree.
- Be able to articulate a well-thought-out student-centered philosophy.
- See Valencia as a place where they want to spend a substantial part of their career.
- Have the entrepreneurial mindset to work effectively with the business community.
- Respect the good work already being done at Valencia.
- Demonstrate an equity mindset by valuing all people.
- Have successful teaching experience.
- Possess a global perspective.
Please click here to view a complete job description for this position.
Total Rewards and Compensation
Should you be selected to join Valencia College as a Campus President, you will not only experience the intrinsic value of Valencia’s transformative work, but you will also be eligible for a comprehensive Total Rewards package. The Total Rewards package includes a competitive salary and an array of benefits designed to support your health and wellness, as well as professional development.
Valencia’s Total Rewards package features:
- Free medical and dental benefits
- Generous paid time off including vacation leave, sick leave, personal days, spring break, winter break and other holidays
- Florida Retirement System membership
- YMCA membership benefits
- Educational and professional development opportunities for you and your dependents and so much more …
Salary range advertised: $165,000 - $186,000 per year
Closing Date: Friday, January 24, 2020 at 7 pm EST.
Nomination and Application process
The Talent Search Committee will begin a review of applications in mid- January 2020 and continue working until a candidate is selected. To ensure full consideration, applications should be received by Friday, January 24, 2020 and include a letter of interest, curriculum vitae and five professional references with email addresses and telephone numbers.
*Please ensure all document are uploaded in PDF format.
References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Valencia College is an equal opportunity institution. We provide equal opportunity for employment and educational services to all.