Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||The Hotchkiss School
||Lakeville, CT United States
Director-Edsel Ford Memorial Library|
The Director of the Edsel Ford Memorial Library (Library Director) will be a student-centered educator with a proven leadership record. The Library Director will guide a professional library team who support learning through discovery. A successful Library Director will practice empathy in listening and connecting to students and colleagues from diverse places and backgrounds, express a vision for advancing the work of the Library within the School community, adopt a flexible approach to challenges and opportunities, model curiosity, and commit to reflective practice and continual personal and professional growth.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Collaborate with colleagues to continually innovate new ways to promote teaching and learning at Hotchkiss, particularly in areas of inquiry-based learning, research, and information literacy.
- Cultivate a welcoming environment for community members from diverse backgrounds and with diverse identities.
- Articulate priorities within the framework of the School’s mission and the Library’s ongoing commitments.
Lead a team of eight librarians in an environment that values collaboration. Coach team members toward their individual and shared goals.
- Evaluate and direct resources to support opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Manage the Library’s annual budget (including over thirty endowed funds) and develop and implement a plan to assess the impact of expenditures.
- Serve as chief liaison from the Library to the community as well as promote a sense of the Library as part of the larger School.
As a member of an intentional residential-school community, the Library Director will model curiosity and compassion, and serve as a role model for others in maintaining appropriate standards of care for students and maintaining healthy boundaries in professional relationships. They will participate actively in community life through service in all aspects of School life—residential, advising, and co-curricular programs. Typical responsibilities of a full-time faculty member include 1-2 nights of duty per week and one weekend of duty per month in a residential dorm, and periodic service on faculty committees and/or as an advisor to student clubs. Faculty members who serve a residential role receive year-round housing (plus utilities), and meals when school is in session. Full-time faculty members are generally expected to obtain a public service endorsement on their Connecticut driver's license within the first year of employment to drive students in School vehicles.
An MLS from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent advanced degree and experience is required; at least three years of experience leading professional staff in a collaborative environment. The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience managing budgets to align expenditures with institutional priorities; experience stewarding endowed funds.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices for teaching information literacy and collaborating with faculty to develop and lead inquiry-based research projects. Teaching experience is preferred.
- Advanced search and research skills using proprietary databases.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Immediate supervisor:
The Library Director reports to the Dean of Academic Life.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and education level. Hotchkiss provides a comprehensive benefit package, which includes a variety of health insurance offerings, dental, vision, life, and short- and long-term disability offerings, HSA/FSA options, and retirement benefits through TIAA with a robust matching program. Ample funding exists to support participation in professional conferences, workshops, summer study, and travel, as well as advanced degree work.
Through our online application process, interested candidates should submit a cover letter with résumé/CV, a statement of teaching philosophy, relevant college and graduate school transcripts, and three references.
The essential functions and basic skills have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
The Hotchkiss School does not discriminate on the basis of age, gender, religion, race, color, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or national or ancestral origin in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, athletic and other School-administered programs, or in the administration of its hiring and employment practices.
The Hotchkiss School is a tobacco-free environment.
Department: Edsel Ford Memorial Library
Schedule: 11-month schedule
Designation: Administrative Faculty
The Hotchkiss School|
The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school that welcomes students in grades 9-12 and faculty from all over the world. From academics to athletics to residential activities, we pursue the highest standards with the right level of support, balanced with fun and joy in learning in community. We provide students life-shaping experiences that result in a greater understanding of themselves, others, and the world. Located in the bucolic northwest corner of Connecticut, Hotchkiss is just two hours from New York City and three from Boston.
The Hotchkiss School seeks to inspire a diverse range of students who are committed to the betterment of self and society, and to cultivate in them, at the highest standards of excellence, imagination and intellect, openness and personal integrity, and empathy and responsible citizenship, that they may discover and fulfill their potential as individuals fully engaged in our world. As of the 2019-20 school year, 36% of students are U.S. students of color, 16% are international, and 95% of students are boarders.