Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||International Living Future Institute
||Remote, US, WA United States
Director, Standards & Policy|
The International Living Future Institute (ILFI)’s mission is to catalyze the transformation toward communities that are culturally rich, socially just and ecologically restorative. The organization believes providing a compelling vision for the future is a fundamental requirement for reconciling humanity’s relationship with the natural world. More than a decade ago, the International Living Future Institute issued a challenge: use the built environment to create a revolutionary transformation towards true sustainability. Since then, ILFI has continued to grow our visionary programs, challenging architects, engineers, designers, manufacturers, contractors, and communities to change the course of climate change and share in building a living future through educating, setting standards, research and creating innovative tools. The International Living Future Institute is a dynamic, growing organization aspiring to be a leader with a formidable reputation for integrity, action and measurable results. ILFI offers a collaborative, team-oriented and mission-driven workplace. ILFI has offices in Seattle, WA and Pittsburgh, PA as well as additional remote staff across the country and in Canada. ILFI also operates globally with affiliate entities in Australia and Europe.
The Director of the Standards and Policy (S&P) Department is responsible for overseeing the continuous development, integrity and accessibility of all ILFI green building standards, policies and resources for clients to achieve certification in: Living Building Challenge, Core, Living Community Challenge, Living Product Challenge, Zero Energy, Zero Carbon, Just, Declare and Reveal. Our programs provide a framework for construction planners, developers, architects, engineers, contractors, interior designers to create, regenerative green built environments. Central to this role will be the development of strategies and approaches to harmonize and align the ILFI certification standards across all programs to maximize their positive impact and market adoption.
The Director of S&P will manage a team of content research and subject matter experts that develop and improve program standards and technical resources to guide clients on the certification path, and ILFI divisional staff to support the community to embrace a net positive built environment. The Standards & Policy team is responsible for objectives that include research, development, publication and regular updates for each of ILFI’s existing and future programs.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in the green building industry, have expert knowledge of one or more green building standards. They are someone that seeks to be an advocate for and a respected authority in regenerative design. They will also be a field expert that can represent ILFI programs at green building events and/or through the media.
• Prioritize, plan, and manage revisions to all Program Standards
• Oversee the continuous development of quarterly updates to all Program Handbooks and other resources
• Oversee the development and management of external Technical Advisory Groups
• Coordinate with Directors of Education, Marketing and Business Development to support ILFI outreach and engagement targets
PROGRAM TEAM LEADERSHIP
• Work with ILFI leadership team to develop strategic plans for Program development
• Work with Program Director team to set quarterly work plans
• Coordinate with Program leadership team on staffing resources and training
• Contribute to decisions on exemptions and clarifications and program decisions affecting multiple programs
Compensation is commensurate with experience, and is supplemented by ILFI’s generous benefits package that includes full employer-funded health, dental and vision for employees and dependents as well as employee life insurance, disability insurance and a 6% match for our 403(b) retirement plan, three weeks of paid annual leave, sick leave, paid parental leave, paid community volunteering leave, connectivity or transportation stipend and a professional development stipend.
THE INTERNATIONAL LIVING FUTURE INSTITUTE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION / EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We believe that our staff should reflect the diversity of the communities in which we live in order to achieve a living future that is socially just, culturally rich and ecologically restorative. We are committed to hiring and advancing staff that represent voices from traditionally underrepresented populations.
Qualifications & Requirements
• 10+ years of experience in leading sustainability programs, such as high-performance building initiatives or decarbonization efforts
• Balance of technical knowledge in building sustainability design strategies and enabling technologies, combined with a big-picture understanding of the sustainable building industry
• Public communication skills (written, verbal, public speaking, social media, press relations)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a variety of stakeholders representing different organizations, backgrounds and perspectives
• Proven organizational skills including project management and experience managing a team
• High emotional intelligence and ability to serve as a mentor for team members
• Friendly nature and an ability to be flexible in a fast-paced, high-energy organization
• Creative problem solving skills
• Bachelors and/or advanced degree in engineering, architecture, environmental policy, or a related field
• Direct experience leading sustainable development initiatives in a real estate or materials supply chain setting
• Experience in administering green building certification programs, including consulting, application reviewing or developing QA/QC processes
• Experience in leading or conducting building performance assessments at the design and occupancy phases; including energy simulation, commissioning, or on-site auditing
• Formal training or certification in project management or process improvement
• Experience working across virtual teams and remote project management
• Experience or formal training in group facilitation and concept development
• Experience with office productivity platforms including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel as well as the Salesforce customer database platform
International Living Future Institute|
The International Living Future Institute (ILFI) is a nonprofit working to build an ecologically-minded, restorative world for all people. Using principles of social and environmental justice, ILFI seeks to counter climate change by pushing for an urban environment free of fossil fuels. ILFI runs the Living Building Challenge, which is the world’s most rigorous green building standard, not to mention several other programs: the Living Product Challenge, the Living Community Challenge, and the Reveal, Declare and Just labels. These programs develop a green framework for living in a 21st-century world.