US State Affairs Director (East) (New Consumer Health Company)|
Johnson & Johnson is currently recruiting the US State Affairs Director – East. This position will be located in New Brunswick, NJ.
Caring for the world, one person at a time has inspired and united the people of Johnson & Johnson for over 125 years. We embrace research and science -- bringing innovative ideas, products and services to advance the health and well-being of people.
With $82.1 billion in 2020 sales, Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly based manufacturer of health care products, as well as a provider of related services, for the consumer, pharmaceutical, and medical devices markets. Employees of the Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies work with partners in health care to touch the lives of over a billion people every day, throughout the world.
If you have the talent and desire to touch the world, Johnson & Johnson has the career opportunities to help make it happen. Thriving on a diverse company culture, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Johnson & Johnson is the world's most comprehensive and broadly-based healthcare Company, touching the lives of nearly a billion people every day. Our Family of Companies throughout the world compete in consumer, pharmaceutical and medical devices & diagnostics markets and have the skills and resources to tackle the world's most pressing health issues.
Johnson & Johnson announced plans to separate our Consumer Health business to create a new publicly traded company. The process of the planned separation is anticipated to be completed within 24 months, and it will be subject to legal requirements including consultation with works councils and other employee representative bodies, as required, and other customary conditions and approvals.
It is anticipated that, following conclusion of the transaction, this position may be conveyed with New Consumer Health. In that case, details of any planned changes would be provided to the successful candidate by New Consumer Health at an appropriate time and would be subject to any necessary consultation processes.
The US State Government Affairs Director – East’s responsibility is to advocate at the state level, and as needed, at the local level on behalf of the Company and the consumers we serve in the Eastern United States.
- Responsible for representing the Company before various administrative, regulatory, legislative, and executive levels of state government, and in some instances, local jurisdictions.
- Establish and maintain interactive contact with executive, legislative, administrative, and regulatory branches of state and local government to implement strategic plans and deliver favorable results for the Company and our customers.
- Hold a thorough understanding of the political environment and legislative and regulatory processes, including state budget developments within the assigned states.
- Draft and advance legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Identify, analyze, and report to the Company business legislative and regulatory issues, health care trends, and emerging issues that could potentially impact the business and recommend and manage a course of action.
- In coordination with the appropriate internal business leaders and partners, work to identify, establish, and affect policies that promote favorable coverage, reimbursement, and access to our products & services in government programs.
- Participate in, contribute to, and lead where appropriate, internal work streams dedicated to key issues or interests of the Enterprise and or the External organization.
- When assigned, assume leadership responsibilities on behalf of the Company US State Affairs for key external stakeholder organizations, and develop, drive, and deliver meaningful engagements with measurable outcomes aligned with organizational objectives.
- Implement the Company strategies and tactics to protect, promote, and positively enhance an open business climate in the formulation of legislation and regulations by state and local entities.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with trade, professional, and allied organizations, educational institutions, organized labor, and other entities/individuals who influence public policy at the state level.
- Participate, serve, and assume leadership positions on industry-related associations, steering committees, and networking organizations to protect & promote the Company's interests.
- Maintain office complete with pertinent records, files, and resource materials assuring proper business activities in reporting, planning, and advising regarding state governmental activities.
- Adhere to the Company's health care compliance requirements and all applicable government lobbying laws.
This position will require up to 50% domestic travel. Occasional international travel may be required.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education.
- A minimum of 10 years of business-related experience.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in government and/or the public policy arena
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to think proactively and prioritize work.
- Exposure to public policy issues facing the eastern United States.
- Background in drafting and advancing legislative and regulatory proposals.
- Experience leading a team and being a team player in multiple product/public policy disciplines.
- Proven ability to approach complex business issues with a solution-oriented, strategic focus.
- Influencing skills and ability to communicate complex information in a manner that is understandable to those with little or no knowledge of the issue(s).
- Demonstrated record of excellence in execution.
- Ability to process a significant amount of health products and public/private health care system information and apply this knowledge to the legislative and regulatory arena.
- Success in applying knowledge of facility infrastructure, tax, economic development, and workforce public policy issues in the legislative and regulatory arena.
- Self-starter with the ability to prioritize, and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- A degree with a focus in Business, Public Administration, Public Policy, or Political Science.
- Advanced degree (master’s degree or JD).
- Prior experience as a lobbyist at the state or federal level.
- Health care industry knowledge, including major legislative & regulatory trends, companies, payers, and markets.
- Business Mindset: Use business and market insights to support, advise on, and identify solutions.
- Trusted Business Partner: Builds and maintains trusted partnerships with internal stakeholders across functions and leverages influential communication to frame analytical insights and develop fact-based business strategies focused on value creation.
- Digital Champion/Technology Advocate: Embrace and practice a digital mindset through encouraging and role modeling the use of technology.
- Agility and Innovation: Leverages an agile and creative mindset to adapt to change and drive innovative value creation, continuous process improvement, and proactive learning through new technology, processes, and people.
- Strong writing skills.
- Strategic Talent Mindset: Supports a strategic and holistic talent agenda by proactively taking ownership and accountability for attracting, developing and retaining talent that drives value creation, including helping to foster a culture where every person feels included.
At Johnson & Johnson, we’re on a mission to change the trajectory of health for humanity. That starts by creating the world’s healthiest workforce. Through cutting-edge programs and policies, we empower the physical, mental, emotional, and financial health of our employees and the ones they love. As such, candidates offered employment must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination or secure an approved accommodation prior to the commencement of employment to support the well-being of our employees, their families and the communities in which we live and work.
For more information on how we support the whole health of our employees throughout their wellness, career and life journey, please visit www.careers.jnj.com.
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
United States-New Jersey-New Brunswick-One Johnson & Johnson Plaza
Johnson & Johnson (6067)