Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Evanston, IL United States
|| Executive Management
Senior Director, McCormick Space, Planning and Sustainability|
Senior Director, McCormick Space, Planning and Sustainability
Job ID: 45445
Location: Evanston, Illinois
Department: MCC Administration
Northwestern University’s McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science is redefining engineering education and research through its pioneering “Whole-Brain Engineering” philosophy, integrating the elements of left-brain thinking — analysis, logic, synthesis, and math — with the kind of high-level right-brain thinking that fosters intuition, metaphorical thought, and creative problem solving. Augmenting the analytical core of engineering with substantial initiatives in design, entrepreneurship, leadership and personal development, and unusual collaborations that span disciplines, Northwestern Engineering students and faculty are prepared to take the world in a whole new direction.
Northwestern Engineering comprises more than 1,800 undergraduate students, 2,000 graduate students, 190 faculty members across nine academic departments and varied programs, centers, and institutes. Northwestern Engineering staff members support innovative academic programs, an intellectual footprint that deepens the frontiers of knowledge, partnerships that catalyze education and research, and a diverse culture that embraces different viewpoints and ideas.
The Sr. Director is responsible for long-term space planning, resource optimization, and construction/maintenance oversight of the physical infrastructure of the McCormick School of Engineering (McC). Current footprint is 483,350 sf across 11 buildings including offices, labs, common areas and the Cohen Commons faculty and staff dining room. Serves as the McCormick leader for capital projects and renovations; 2-3 major projects are expected per year with an average combined budget of $10M. The Sr. Director will develop and execute sustainability initiatives for the McCormick School of Engineering in support of Northwestern’s sustainability strategic plan. Reporting to the Associate Dean Administration, Finance, Facilities and Planning, this position plays a critical role in the strategic planning and budget management for physical asset allocation and optimization, capital project planning and execution, and effective daily operations in a safe, compliant manner. Works in close collaboration and develops strong partnerships with NU Facilities Management (FM), Risk Management (RM) and Office of Research Safety (ORS), other NU Schools particularly WCAS and FSM, as well as internally with McC departments, centers, programs and institutes. The Sr. Director leads safety initiatives for the school including annual all-building evacuation drills, Business Continuity planning and coordination with NU University Policy safety initiatives. The Sr. Director supervises a Project Coordinator for facilities.
*Note: Not all aspects of the job are covered by this job description.
• Space Planning, Optimization and Allocation Strategy: The growing demand for research space makes space planning and repurposing paramount. Applies comprehensive knowledge of allocation and usage of existing space and vision of best usage of new space to lead strategic planning with the deans.
• Capital Project and Lab Renovation Team Leadership: Represents the McCormick School on project management teams including FM, architect, contractor. Establishes best practices (for example the McC lab renovation process for new faculty) to ensure projects are completed on time, on budget, and meet/exceed quality standards.
• Building Management: Pro-actively leads NU facilities, risk and safety colleagues to ensure all facilities are maintained to the highest standards. Oversees day to day operations of the physical infrastructure and unexpected occurrences. Ensures prompt and professional problem solving from NU Facilities Management and Office of Research Safety.
• Sustainability: Lead the strategic planning process to develop McCormick’s sustainability goals and priorities. This would be done in partnership with Dean’s office and result in standards and practices to minimize environmental impact and decrease energy consumption in built environments.
• Strategic Planning: Partner with Associate Dean and other members of the Dean’s team to build the space plan to accommodate McCormick’s intermediate and long-term needs.
• Data management and Analysis: Power user for University systems such as SIMS, Connect, Lumen, that provide data, especially that which informs determination of the research overhead rate with federal agencies. Leads annual space and research data analyses to monitor space productivity and make recommendations for change as appropriate to the dean.
• Safety-conscious and Compliant Environment: Leads the School’s safety initiatives including annual all-building evacuation drills, quarterly lab group safety training, Business Continuity Planning, etc.
• Collaboration and Customer Service: Effectively and diplomatically manages up to the deans, Provost Office, and NU Central senior management and across to NU Central and school directors, faculty and staff to optimize (written and verbal) communication, cooperation and safety. Supports faculty, staff and students with a high performance facilities team; supervises the Project Coordinator with clear expectations and assessment of performance.
• Staff Supervision: Sets performance goals and manages staff performance to encourage critical thinking, pro-active responsiveness and accurate, timely, and comprehensive metrics reporting and analysis as well as project management support and addressing customer requests.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
• Bachelor’s degree in construction management, architecture or related field or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
• Minimum of 12-15 years of facilities management experience or a combination of education and experience. Previous experience in construction project management is required.
• Proven ability to manage many major tasks simultaneously; resilience under pressure; excellent oral and written communication, analytic, and budget management skills.
Please apply online at https://careers.northwestern.edu/psp/hr857prd_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=45445&PostingSeq=1
At Northwestern, we are proud to provide meaningful, competitive, high-quality health care plans, retirement benefits, tuition discounts and more! Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/index.html to learn more.
Work-Life and Wellness:
Northwestern offers comprehensive programs and services to help you and your family navigate life’s challenges and opportunities, and adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles.
We support flexible work arrangements where possible and programs to help you locate and pay for quality, affordable childcare and senior/adult care. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/benefits/work-life/index.html to learn more.
Professional Growth & Development:
Northwestern supports employee career development in all circumstances whether your workspace is on campus or at home. If you’re interested in developing your professional potential or continuing your formal education, we offer a variety of tools and resources. Visit us at https://www.northwestern.edu/hr/learning/index.html to learn more.
Northwestern requires all staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
The Northwestern campus sits on the traditional homelands of the people of the Council of Three Fires, the Ojibwe, Potawatomi, and Odawa as well as the Menominee, Miami and Ho-Chunk nations. We acknowledge and honor the original people of the land upon which Northwestern University stands, and the Native people who remain on this land today.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Click for information on EEO is the Law.