The Engineering Manager is a key leadership position in Incubator organization of IA. The role is responsible for delivering the run-time firmware for the next generation control automation system. Based on IEC 61499 standard, the run-time is an integral part of EcoStruxure Automation Expert, providing hardware agnostic, event-driven, low-code control programming ecosystem for automation engineers. The run-time source code is also shared with open automation ecosystem members under the universalautomation.org (a membership-based forum).
Key responsibilities of the role
- Manage an agile team of 10-15 firmware & software engineers, based out of USA and Europe, that develop, test & integrate firmware for IEC 61499 run-time (EcoRT) to meet the quality, security, performance & value expectations of customers.
- Collaborate with product owners, system architects & technical leaders to ensure the engineering team delivers features based on identified priorities and technical decisions.
- Leverage experience of firmware & embedded OS development, to advice team on technical issues and enable collaboration with other technical experts to support the team.
- As people manager, ensure engineering resources are assigned to priorities and drive development of people for both short-term & long-term customer needs. Drive resource strategy for short-term & long-term via hiring (contactors & internal talent development)
- Support and guide team members on competency development, career growth & performance against measurable objectives.
- Proactively identify roadblocks, inefficiencies and improvement areas affecting team productivity and collaborate with overall organization to address these areas
- As a scrum master, drive scrum rituals (sprint planning, stand-up meetings, retrospectives and coordination with other scrum teams) under the Scaled Agile framework. Participate in program increment planning events and support the agile team(s) in estimation, work break down, risk identification & dependency with other sub-systems/agile teams in the Agile Release Train.
- Ensure all development activities in the teams’ scope is per the SE offer development compliance activities (Secure Development Lifecycle, Cybersecurity, safety, qualimetry etc.) per governance defined by the Scaled Agile program team.
- As an agile leader, enable culture of continuous experimentation & improvement, team empowerment & accountability, growth-oriented mindset & innovation.
- As a leader in the organization, contribute to the organizational level initiatives such as people development, process improvements, agile transformation and employee engagement as relevant.
Required skills and experience
- Engineering or equivalent degree in computer science, electrical or electronics discipline.
- At least 15 years of total experience working in a product development engineering organization.
- At least 8 years of experience developing firmware using C/C++ for embedded devices.
- Prior experience working with real-time operating systems (Linux, VxWorks, RTOS etc..)
- Prior experience managing people with direct hierarchical reporting (at least 5 years).
- Ability to be based out of Foxboro/Boston area in USA.
- Prior experience with agile or scrum methodology.
- Ability to work well in a matrixed organizational environment and be a collaborative team player across various reporting lines.
- Prior experience with Scaled Agile development (SAFe)
- Familiarity with IEC 61499 control automation standard
- Familiarity with control automation or industrial automation domain/customer segments/applications.
- Prior experience managing remote teams.
Let us learn about you! Apply today.
Schneider Electric is leading the digital transformation of energy management and automation. Our technologies enable the world to use energy in a safe, efficient and sustainable manner. We strive to promote a global economy that is both ecologically viable and highly productive.
€25.7bn global revenue
137 000+ employees in 100+ countries
45% of revenue from IoT
5% of revenue devoted for R&D
You must submit an online application to be considered for any position with us. This position will be posted until filled
It is the policy of Schneider Electric to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities in the areas of recruiting, hiring, training, transferring, and promoting all qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other legally protected characteristic or conduct. Concerning agencies: Schneider Electric does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for fees related to such.