About the Position
VHB’s growing Tysons, VA team is looking for a Senior Traffic Engineer to join our Transportation team.
Together, we work to improve mobility, enhance communities and economic vitality, and balance development and infrastructure needs with environmental stewardship. The right candidate would be joining a tight-knit team of transportation planners and traffic engineers who value technical excellence, career development, pride in our work, a collaborative team environment, and a passion for finding the right solutions that enhance mobility and safety.
At VHB, we’re invested in what we do, compelled by intellectual curiosity, and driven to work collectively to best serve our clients and help shape the future of our communities in a meaningful way. We’re proud, yet humbled, to have been doing this for over 40 years. We are dedicated to making a positive impact, and providing opportunities to grow personally and professionally.
These responsibilities summarized below demonstrate a breadth of services in design, operations, safety, and policy. The ultimate candidate does not need to be deeply knowledgeable of all technical areas; rather, the responsibilities could include some or all of these as determined by the candidate’s strengths and interests.
- Manage traffic engineering, transportation planning, and/or safety projects and contracts
- Oversee quality and contribute to complex technical decisions on a range of multimodal transportation engineering assignments
- Apply deep understanding of traffic signal design, operations, and/or systems
- Complete traffic safety and operational improvement studies for localized intersections and corridors
- Provide analyses of traffic safety issues and crash reduction measures
- Address community traffic engineering and safety issues
- Manage projects involving the design of traffic control devices (signs, markings, signals) and/or ITS.
- Manage projects involving simulation and signal optimization plans to maximize transportation system throughput (using Synchro, Sidra, Vissim or related software)
- Complete interchange justification, functional design and access management reports
- Develop mobility solutions which consider all users, including motorists, bicyclists, public transit users and pedestrians of all ages and abilities.
- Support policy and design guidance documents for traffic, technology, and control devices.
- Manage or support projects involving transportation technology including innovative, technology-driven approaches to serving transportation agency’s evolving needs.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Presenting to citizens and at public meetings as part of project outreach
- The ability to manage multiple projects and work independently
- An understanding of effectively overseeing multi-disciplinary projects and teams
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Team oriented with strong capability to work independently
- Motivated to lead and mentor others
- Background in traffic engineering and project management
- 11-15 years of experience with professional traffic engineering
- Degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Registered as a PE in the Commonwealth of VA
- Certification as a PTOE desirable
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.