Approximately 70% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions can be tied directly and indirectly to buildings, industry, and transport. These three sectors have multiple dependencies, notably in materials and energy flows integrated in the built environment. These emissions are undoubtedly causing climate change and drastic reductions are needed at an unprecedented rate to achieve the goals of the Paris Agreement. Energy and material flows have been the subject of numerous studies in across academia, industry, government, and NGO’s through local and global lenses. From a systems approach, fully leveraging this information to develop tools and insights from a cross sector analysis can have positive outcomes from an environmental, social, and business perspective. This internship project is towards designing, developing, and leveraging digital technologies to expand the portfolio of green AI tools and techniques. Experience working with energy systems, coding, structured and unstructured data, and machine learning is highly desirable. The internship is intended for a graduate student who can take ownership of the project, perform with minimal supervision, provide technical and high-level updates, and is seeking a purpose-led work experience.
What do you get to do in this position?
- Conduct research that impacts environmental, energy, and economic systems
- Conceive of and build a digital asset for sustainability research (coding/programming, use of artificial intelligence)
- Develop and maintain systems for data structuring and analysis
- Collaborate on and disseminate tool as appropriate (present to and teach key researchers)
- Gain experience and network in one of the world’s most sustainable companies
This job might be for you if:
- A current graduate student
- Are familiar/have experience with programming, particularly Python and machine learning algorithms
- Comfortable retrieving/using data and combining structured and unstructured datasets
- Want to design and create tools at the nexus of sustainability and digitization
- Have a passion to make a difference for the future of our planet and society
- Good communication and documentation skills
Job Type: Internship
Location: On site, Boston, MA
Domain: Digital Sustainability
Eligibility: Currently enrolled graduate students
Special: Northeastern University students in the Gordon Institute of Engineering Leadership program encouraged to apply
Start: Fall Semester 2022
We know skills and competencies show up in many different ways and can be based on your life experience. If you do not necessarily meet all the requirements that are listed, we still encourage you to apply for the position.
We seek out and reward people for putting the customer first, being disruptive to the status quo, embracing different perspectives, continuously learning, and acting like owners. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate. We welcome people as they are, creating an inclusive culture where all forms of diversity are seen as a real value for the company.
Schneider Electric is leading the digital transformation of energy management and automation. Our technologies enable the world to use energy in a safe, efficient and sustainable manner. We strive to promote a global economy that is both ecologically viable and highly productive.
€25.7bn global revenue
137 000+ employees in 100+ countries
45% of revenue from IoT
5% of revenue devoted for R&D
You must submit an online application to be considered for any position with us. This position will be posted until filled
It is the policy of Schneider Electric to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities in the areas of recruiting, hiring, training, transferring, and promoting all qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, gender, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other legally protected characteristic or conduct. Concerning agencies: Schneider Electric does not accept unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for fees related to such.