ABOUT THE POSITION
Senior Environmental Planner
VHB is seeking a Senior Environmental Planner to join our Watertown, MA office. Our environmental planning team strives for a culture in which team members are excited about their work, supported professionally and personally, encouraged to be creative and innovative, and have opportunities to contribute to and learn about the diverse markets in which we work. Consistently named among the “Best Civil Engineering Firms to Work For” by CE News magazine, VHB is committed to providing a challenging, dynamic, and rewarding work environment. Our staff enjoy opportunities to grow professionally and work on interesting projects.
VHB provides environmental services to state and federal departments of transportation, transit and rail agencies, airport owners/operators, municipalities, energy clients, institutions, building developers, and other entities. VHB offers our clients strong project management support, technical analyses and short and long-term planning solutions to meet environmental regulatory requirements, identify and achieve sustainability goals, and to understand the effects of our built environment.
VHB is hiring a senior professional who has strong project and task management experience leading the preparation of federal National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and Massachusetts Environmental Policy Act (MEPA) documentation for a diverse set of transportation clients. VHB’s overall environmental team provides a wide range of other integrated services such as environmental planning, air quality and noise studies, cultural resource/Section 106 consultation, threatened and endangered species assessments/Section 7, parks and open space/Section 4(f), water conservation and water quality, oil and/or hazardous materials assessments, and community engagement. We are looking for applicants that have a strong understanding of our full range of environmental services to foster our cross-collaborative culture and support our growing backlog.
- Manage environmental multiple planning projects and tasks
- Build relationships with clients, project managers, colleagues, and sub‑consultants
- Oversee technical reviews associated with natural, human, and cultural resource analyses as related to NEPA and MEPA
- Provide strong coaching, mentoring, and everyday feedback to department staff
- Lead and support business development activities as needed; preparing scopes of work, fee estimates, and schedules
- Prepare environmental reports and provide presentations
- Facilitate stakeholder meetings, public workshops, and public hearings, as needed
- Provide quality assurance and quality control
- Support senior management team
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and existing network
- Strong understanding of transportation NEPA and MEPA
- Strong technical writing and presentation skills
- Ability to solve problems and think creatively
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Familiarity with environmental justice and Title VI, socioeconomics, Section 4(f), and Section 106
- Capable of coordinating and performing multiple tasks among teams
- Demonstrated leadership and mentoring skills required
- Ability to travel, if required
- S./B.A. in planning, environmental planning, or environmental science. M.S./M.A. degree a plus
- 10+ years of experience in environmental consulting, including strong project management skills
- State and federal DOT experience a plus
- Envision Sustainability Professional a plus
- Writing samples and references required
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
- It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.