ABOUT THE POSITION
VHB’s Site Investigation and Remediation team is seeking an Environmental Scientist/GIS Analyst to join our Watertown, MA or Providence, RI office.
VHB’s passionate professionals include engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with public and private clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
- Creates graphics and figures using ArcGIS software for presentation in environmental reports.
- Performs standard analysis of spatial data using GIS technology (e.g., buffering, spatial overlays, distance calculations).
- Researches and corrects problems with data using spatial and logical analyses; Performs data searches and retrievals; Extracts and organizes data; Research source documents to resolve missing or conflicting data; Converts GIS data to CAD software format; Uses coordinate geometry to convert surveying data to GIS format.
- Manages basic GIS projects or components of more complex GIS projects. Creates and manages online tools using spatial data.
- Assists with laboratory data management and interpretation using Microsoft Excel and EQuIS software.
- Participates when needed in field data collection (soil, sediment, groundwater, surface water, soil gas sampling) and site investigations including preparing ASTM Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments.
- Writes technical reports, correspondence, notes and memoranda.
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work in office and field settings.
- Possesses theoretical knowledge of the principles of geographic information science and GIS technology.
- Skilled in the use of GIS software, particularly ArcGIS in its desktop and online forms.
- Ability to develop and maintain online spatial data tools for non-GIS users.
- Fundamental skill in applying GIS technology to solve analytical problems.
- Fundamental knowledge of relational database management systems and the ability to use the SQL language.
- Knowledge of the fundamentals of Global Positioning System and skill in the use of GPS technology for data collection.
- Ability to express meaning through cartography.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent planning and organization skills (prioritization, multi-tasking, time management)
- Demonstrated ability to follow direction and work independently, as well as in a team environment
- General knowledge of, and the willingness to further comprehend, MassDEP and RIDEM hazardous materials regulations and guidance documents.
- BS in Geology, or Hydrogeology, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, or GIS
- 3-5 years of professional environmental/remediation consulting and GIS experience
- Individuals holding active OSHA 10-Hour Construction and 40-Hour HAZWOPER Training certificates preferred. These certifications are required in order to conduct field work.
- GIS certification preferred. Familiarity with EQuIS environmental data management software also preferred.
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.