ABOUT THE POSITION
VHB is growing its Massachusetts Highway team and looking for an exceptional individual to take on the role of Director of Highway. This is a high visibility role, where you’ll oversee an expanding team of more than 30 roadway/highway professionals. You’ll have responsibility for business development including growing new and existing relationships with municipal and state transportation agency clients and managing high profile projects.
- Lead, manage, and develop a team of over 30 industry professionals.
- Generate new business development opportunities and lead winning pursuits.
- Work with the Managing Director to help set and lead the strategic direction for the highway design practice in MA
- Participate in go/no-go and partnering decisions on pursuits
- Develop and oversee relationships with key municipal and state agency clients
- Manage the delivery of complex multi-discipline projects
- Lead staff growth and development including planning, assigning, and directing work; evaluating performance; coaching and mentoring; training staff and resolving problems
- Responsible for leading the preparation of proposals, plans, specifications, cost estimates, reports, and final bid packages
- Promote continuous quality monitoring and improvement
Skills and Attributes
- Must be knowledgeable in a broad range of roadway/highway engineering topics, spanning both the public and private sectors, with a demonstrated ability to think and act strategically
- Must have strong industry relationships within the region, including MassDOT and municipal clients
- Must have strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated track record of effectively leading a team of engineering professionals, of varying ages and experience levels.
- Strong bias towards both positivity and in-person interaction – this role will require frequent in-office time and will be highly influential to the group’s culture and well-being
- Strong technical and critical thinking skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, partner, influence, consult, and coordinate with all levels within the organization.
- Superb skills in project and client relationship management and collaborative problem solving with stakeholders, clients, and teammates.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal communication and time management skills.
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented
- 15+ years of professional experience in Transportation/Highway Engineering
- B.S. in Civil Engineering is required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Prior experience working with both MassDOT and municipal clients is strongly preferred
- Prior supervisory experience required
- Massachusetts PE license required
WE ARE VHB! We’re an inspired and innovative team of engineers, scientists, planners, and designers who partner with clients in the transportation, real estate, institutional, and energy industries, as well as federal, state, and local governments.
Our work helps improve mobility, enhance communities, and contribute to economic vitality. We do this while balancing development and infrastructure needs with stewardship of our environment.
Our people make us great! VHB provides a differentiating employee experience.
- Inclusive culture of collaboration and innovation.
- Opportunity to work on complex, transformational projects.
- Amazing co-workers
- A focus on learning and development
- Flexible, hybrid workplace
It’s not surprising that VHB has consistently been rated one of the top AEC firms to work for across our 30+ offices on the East Coast and in 2022 placed #3 in Vermont’s “Best Places to Work” ranking. We’re growing and we hope you’ll join us!
VHB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age, or any other federally protected class.